Thursday, February 2, 2012

In memory of my mother, Nora





It is hard to imagine a whole year passed after her sudden and terrible death. Me and my sister, we never saw it coming. Mother was ill for many years after the hardships of immigration. At her age - to lose her life, her city, her friends - she could not cope with it. We were alone, 3 women in a foreign country, in a hostile environment, with no knowledge of German language. We were helpless when she got ill, we were helpless when the doctors gave up on her. We were helpless when we got a terrible call that she passed away, all alone, without us at her side. Her torture on earth has come to an end. My sister Rina had her 50th birthday planned on February 17th. Under shock, she fell on the cemetery stairs. She had to undergo a surgery on her knee so spent her 50th birthday in the hospital. We were both devastated. Mother caught cold and was given antibiotics in the morning and her usual medication that day. In the evening she stopped breathing. It went so fast.

Alain called me that week after months of communication only per mail after he fled Belgium and left me paying off his debts. He knew how much I loved him and how much it meant to me. It turned out he called because he needed me to sign papers for the company. He kept promising to send me money for months. In July he sent me 50 Euros after months of me begging him. How, just how, can a human being be so cruel?

No comments:

Post a Comment